Seven sixth form pupils have spent a "work experience week" at the Bristol office of Top 40 accountants, Bishop Fleming.
With offices in Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Plymouth, Torquay, Truro, and Worcester, Bishop Fleming invited sixth formers to apply for a place on the specially structured "work experience week" which it will also be holding in its Exeter and Worcester offices, and next week this will also be held for the first time in its Plymouth office.
During the week, Bishop Fleming used an interactive toolkit devised by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) as an introduction to financial statements, along with activities such as:
- Meeting experts in different specialisms, from tax to corporate finance;
- Attending client meetings;
- Finding out about the role of the Marketing and Training functions;
- Working as a team, and presenting back on their experience of the week;
- Learning skills such as telephone and email techniques, and interview skills.This is the third successive year that the firm has run this programme, and anyone wishing to apply for the firm’s next "Work Experience Week" should contact Carrie Barker: email@example.com .
- Alison Dale, Learning and Development Manager, said: "Our work experience programmes are a fantastic way for students to find out if a career in accountancy is the right choice, and we also give them valuable skills that they can take with them, whichever path they choose – ranging from interview practice to research and presentations. The programme also helps us to identify future employees, as the week-long programme gives us time to really get to know the students.”